SciFest: Light & Colour Science - 10 August 2015 Stream 1 - 11:00
Provider: Fizzics Education
Presenter: Ben Newsome
Date: 10 August 2015
Start Time: 11:00
End Time: 12:00pm
Duration: 60 minutes
Closing Date: Bookings Close 09-Aug-2015
Availability: DEC and Non-DEC
DEC Positions: 4
Non-DEC Positions: 2
Price: $55 Sci-Fest week price!
KLA Syllabus: Primary
KLA Stage/s: Early Stage 1,Stage 1,Stage 2,Stage 3
KLA Year/s: Kindergarten,Year 1,Year 2,Year 3,Year 4,Year 5,Year 6
Key Learning Area/s: Science and Technology
KLA Topic/s: The Natural Envirnonment
KLA Keyword/s: science,light,colour,reflection,refraction,mirror,lens,fizzics,show,rainbow
Event Overview: Students learn about properties of light in this fun interactive workshop for National Science Week!
- Investigate rainbows using the visible light spectrum, plus learn about colour addition and subtraction
- Explore luminescent minerals and other objects using ultraviolet light
- Make coloured shadows and create hovering images
- Learn about translucent, transparent and opaque materials
- Investigate optical fibre and it's use in hi-speed broadband technology
- Mix creative colour changing chemical concoctions, see illusions and more!
Australian Curriculum Outcomes:
Light and sound are produced by a range of sources and can be sensed (ACSSU020)
Light from a source forms shadows and can be absorbed, reflected and refracted (ACSSU080)
NSW Science Syllabus Outcomes:
- describes some sources of light and sound that they sense in their daily lives (ST1-6PW)
- uses scientific knowledge about the transfer of light to solve problems that directly affect people’s lives (ST3-7PW)
Fits within Primary Connections: Light fantastic
Additional Booking Instructions: On booking we will send out a .pdf file which will contain;- a confirmation of the time/date of the video conference.- a list of experiment materials we expect that you will have available during the conference. These inexpensive science materials are readily accessible in any supermarket and make the video conference more interactive and engaging for students. Please check these details carefully.
A tax invoice will be forwarded to you to pass onto your school administration.
Further Information: Limit of 6 schools on a first come first served basis
Find over 100 free science experiment lesson ideas for the classroom on the Fizzics website:http://fizzicseducation.com.au/experiments/free_experiments.html
Looking for module-based video conference excursions?
Please let us know what you would like, when you would like it and we can develop it for you!
We also offer a weekly science club.
More information: http://www.fizzicseducation.com.au/Events/after%20school%20science%20club.html
This event is proudly supported by Virtual Excursions Australia a video conferencing portal www.virtualexcursionsaustralia.com.au/